Thursday 17 March 2016

Blog #10 ------------ Indie games

Growing up, all I really played was popular games like Halo, Guitar hero, Kirby, Call of Duty, basically any game that a parent would recognize as a video game if they heard the name.

I’ll be honest, I never play indie games and I don’t really like them at all. That being said, why am I going into the gaming industry? Good question, I have no clue.

So for the rest of the blog, I’ll be talking about random indie games that I’ve probably never played… But if I see one that I have tried, I’ll let you know!

Five Nights at Freddy’s is a game. <- That’s essentially all I know about it. From the amount of posts I’ve seen about it on the internet, it must be a really great indie game. I believe the player is a security guard and has to survive (Five nights at Freddy’s).


I’m currently 2 pages into google and I still haven’t found an indie game that I’ve actually played. There’s definitely a lot that I’ve heard of though, like Super Meat Boy, and I Wanna be the Guy.

I guess the only thing I have left is a crappy game that was made in 2 days that nobody wants to hear about: SwipeRite.

SwipeRite is a game created by a small indie company called Stormforged Productions, which is basically just two people. Michael Billette, who just happens to have the same last name as me, is the game designer and does all the art. Cole Pollock is the programmer for the company.

The game itself is pretty simple, each of them put in about 24 hours to create it. It’s a memory and reflex game that assigned a random colour to each direction. You have to remember which colour is which direction and swipe depending on what appears on the screen. As your score gets higher, the amount of time you have available to swipe decreases.


Jumping back a bit, I Wanna be the Guy was a popular indie game. It used music and art from many other video games. What was interesting about it is how fucking difficult it was to even get past the first level.

The game basically doesn’t care, it just wants to mess up the day of whoever’s playing it. If you want to go on a low difficulty, the game insults you and calls you a wuss. It also doesn’t even make the game easier, it just gives you more save points.


Mari0 is a cool indie game that combines Mario and portal, theres really not much else to say about this game, but I think it’s a pretty cool mix, and for an indie game, they did a pretty good job.

QWOP! The one indie game that everyone has played. It was created back in 2008, and after 8 years, there’s still not a single person that can play it properly. Actually Roshan Ramachandra managed to run all 100m in just 51 seconds.




Thanks for reading my terrible blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment